Council of the EU
Agriculture and Fisheries Council meeting in Brussels on 21 March
The Council program will include information on the Commission’s progress in preparing a report on the application of EU health and environmental standards to imported products, the situation on agricultural markets and information on the approval by the CAP Strategic Plans Commission. Furthermore, in the Miscellaneous section, the AT will inform about the Austro-French initiative to promote the cultivation of protein crops and the HU about the V4 ministerial meeting and the declaration adopted on the strategic plans of the Common Agricultural Policy.
Meeting of the Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels on 21 March
Foreign ministers should first discuss Russian aggression against Ukraine. It will focus on the next steps in Russia’s joint diplomatic approach, joint action at the multilateral level, consular coordination or countering disinformation, and strategic communication with the Russian public. The second topic of discussion will be the current situation in Mali, with ministers focusing on future EU engagements in the Sahel region. Over lunch, ministers will meet the Moldovan Foreign Minister. A Joint Meeting of Foreign and Defense Ministers (JAC FAC) will take place in the afternoon, during which the final version of the strategic compass is expected to be discussed and then approved. Finally, defense ministers will separately discuss Russian aggression against Ukraine during an informal dinner. The Ukrainian Defense Minister could probably participate in the debate by videoconference.
General Affairs Council meeting in Brussels on 22 March
The main topic of discussion will be the discussion on the draft conclusions of the March RT. The agenda also includes the European Semester, the Conference on the Future of Europe and a policy debate on the revision of the regulation on the statute and funding of European political parties and foundations. Under Miscellaneous, the EC will present its proposals for the implementation of the agreements with the United Kingdom in the framework of the implementation of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement (ACT).
European Council meeting in Brussels on 24 and 25 March
The European Council (RE) will be preceded by an extraordinary NATO summit on March 24, and part of the RE meeting is also expected to be attended by the US President. Topics on the March RE agenda include Russian aggression against Ukraine, security and defence, energy, economic affairs, covid-19 and foreign relations (EU summit preparations – China of April 1 and political crisis in Bosnia and Herzegovina). An extended euro format will also be on the sidelines, which should focus on changes in the banking and capital markets union.
Coreper I 23 March and 25 March
The preparation of the Education, Youth, Culture and Sport Council of 4 and 5 April 2022 and the preparation of the Agriculture and Fisheries Council of 7 April 2022 will continue at Coreper I. Coreper will prepare a political debate between ministers during the AGRIFISH Council of the package “Fit for 55”. The Presidency will also report on the outcome of the trialogue on the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on serious cross-border threats and repealing Decision No 1082/2013/EU (CBHT) of the European Parliament and of the Council and on the outcome of the trialogue on the law on digital markets. Coreper will also prepare a trilogue on the draft directive on reasonable minimum wages in the EU, which will take place on Tuesday 29 March.
Coreper II will meet extraordinarily on Tuesday March 22 prepare the extraordinary Justice and Home Affairs Council (EU coordination in relation to the Ukrainian refugee crisis) and discuss the follow-up to be given to the Versailles summit in the field of energy. Coreper II is due to meet on Wednesday 24 March to discuss draft conclusions in preparation for the European Council.
Week of EP committees and mini-plenary sessions from 21 to 25 3.
MEPs will meet in regular parliamentary sessions, and a mini EP plenary session will also take place in Brussels on 23 and 24 March.
Selection of the important points of the meeting:
IMCO + LIBE (21 March): public hearing on the harmonization of artificial intelligence rules (Artificial Intelligence Act)
ITRE (21-22 March): structured dialogue with Commissioner T. Breton on the proposals for a secure program and the European Chips Act
AIDA (March 22): vote on the final recommendations of the commission establishing an artificial intelligence plan for 2030 – Report on artificial intelligence in the digital age
EMPL (24 March): Presentation by the Commission on the state of play of ongoing pilot projects and preparatory actions in the field of employment and social affairs
Meeting of the College of Commissioners on March 23
The Commission college will discuss a set of nature protection measures and measures to create a fair, healthy and environmentally friendly food system.
European Committees of the Parliament of the Czech Republic
Meeting of the European Affairs Committee of the Parliament of the Czech Republic on March 23
At its meeting on Wednesday, the committee will discuss:
- Information on the positions to be adopted by the Czech Republic at the European Council meeting to be held in Brussels on 24 and 25 March 2022
Meeting of the European Affairs Committee of the Senate of the Parliament of the Czech Republic on March 23
At its meeting on Wednesday, the committee will discuss:
- Information from the Government of the Czech Republic on the positions of the Government of the Czech Republic and the agenda of the European Council, to be held on 24 and 25 March 2022
- Government report on the assumption of legislative obligations arising from the Czech Republic’s accession to the European Union in 2021
- EC report: Protecting fundamental rights in the digital age – Annual report on the application of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights for 2021
- EC Communication on the European Declaration on Digital Rights and Principles for the Digital Decade
- Information from the Government of the Czech Republic on the conditions for the use of the Recovery and Resilience Instrument (RRF) under the National Recovery Plan of the Czech Republic
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of the Union and its Member States against economic pressure from third countries
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the reduction of methane emissions in the energy sector and amending Regulation (EU) 2019/942
- EC Communication “Common solutions to current and new challenges associated with COVID-19”
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the transparency and targeting of political advertising
- Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the statute and funding of European political parties and European political foundations (recast)
EU committee at governmental level
Meeting of March 23, 2022
I / For approval
- Mandate for the European Council of 24 and 25 March 2022 in Brussels (OJ)
II / Miscellaneous